Hello! I am Leixian Shen (沈磊贤), a Ph.D student in Department of Computer Science and Engineering at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, under the supervision of Prof. Huamin Qu, affiliated with VisLab. Prior to that, I received my master’s degree with honor in School of Software at Tsinghua University, under the supervision of Prof. Jianmin Wang. I have also taken a research internship at Microsoft Research Asia advised by Dr. Yun Wang.
My research interest is to democratize visual data analysis and storytelling by the intersection of Information Visualization (VIS), Data Science (DS), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), and Artificial Intelligence (AI), especially on Human-AI Collaboration, AI for Visualization, Text-Visual Interplay, and Intelligent Data Visualization Creation.
If you are interested in my research, please feel free to contact me via email@example.com.
Data Player: Automatic Generation of Data Videos with Narration-Animation Interplay
Leixian Shen, Yizhi Zhang, Haidong Zhang, and Yun Wang
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Proc. IEEE VIS’23), 2024.
WonderFlow: Narration-Centric Design of Animated Data Videos
Yun Wang, Leixian Shen, Zhengxin You, Xinhuan Shu, Bongshin Lee, John Thompson, Haidong Zhang, and Dongmei Zhang
Graph Exploration with Embedding-Guided Layouts
Leixian Shen*, Zhiwei Tai*, Enya Shen, and Jianmin Wang (* co-primary author)
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2023.
Learned Data-Aware Image Representations of Line Charts for Similarity Search
Yuyu Luo, Yihui Zhou, Nan Tang, Guoliang Li, Chengliang Chai, and Leixian Shen
Proceedings of the 2023 ACM Conference on Management of Data, SIGMOD 2023.
Towards Natural Language-Based Visualization Authoring
Yun Wang, Zhitao Hou, Leixian Shen, Tongshuang Wu, Jiaqi Wang, He Huang, Haidong Zhang, and Dongmei Zhang
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Proc. IEEE VIS’22), 2023.
Towards Natural Language Interfaces for Data Visualization: A Survey
Leixian Shen, Enya Shen, Yuyu Luo, Xiaocong Yang, Xuming Hu, Xiongshuai Zhang, Zhiwei Tai, and Jianmin Wang
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2022.
GALVIS: Visualization Construction through Example-Powered Declarative Programming
Leixian Shen, Enya Shen, Zhiwei Tai, Yun Wang, Yuyu Luo, and Jianmin Wang
Proceedings of the 31st ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (Demo Track), CIKM 2022.
Best Demo Paper Honorable Mention
Visual Data Analysis with Task-Based Recommendations
Leixian Shen, Enya Shen, Zhiwei Tai, Yihao Xu, Jiaxiang Dong, and Jianmin Wang
Data Science and Engineering, 2022.
TaskVis: Task-Oriented Visualization Recommendation
Leixian Shen, Enya Shen, Zhiwei Tai, Yiran Song, and Jianmin Wang
Proceedings of the 23rd Eurographics Conference on Visualization (Short Paper), EuroVis 2021.
2023.08 - now, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
Ph.D in Computer Science and Engineering Advisor: Huamin Qu
2020.09 - 2023.06, Tsinghua University (THU).
2016.09 - 2020.06, Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications (NJUPT).
Bachelor in Software Engineering (Ranked First, Graduation with Honor) Advisor: Fu Xiao and He Xu
Thesis: “High-Precision Indoor Wireless Localization Based on UHF RFID” (Excellent Undergraduate Thesis of Jiangsu Province)
2022.04 - 2023.06, Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA).
Research Intern in DKI (Data, Knowledge, and Intelligence) Group Advisor: Yun Wang
2019.10 - 2020.05, Tsinghua University (THU).
Visiting Intern in Institute of Trustworthy Networks and Systems Advisor: Zheng Yang
📖 Selected Awards
Honors and Scholarships
- RedBird PhD Award of HKUST. 2023
- “Star of Tomorrow” Excellent Internship Award of MSRA. 2023
- Outstanding Master Graduates of THSS in THU. 2023
- Excellent Master Thesis of THU. 2023
- CIKM 2022 Best Paper Honorable Mention (Demo Track). 2022
- NSF and SIGWeb Travel Grants. 2022
- First-Class Scholarship for Excellence of THU. 2022
- Jining Talent Scholarship of THU. 2021
- Outstanding Undergraduate Graduates of NJUPT. 2020
- Excellent Undergraduate Thesis of NJUPT and Jiangsu Province. 2020
- China National Scholarship. 2019
- Outstanding Student of Jiangsu Province. 2019
- Innovation Pioneer of NJUPT (Only ten in NJUPT). 2019
- NIIT Corporate Scholarship of NJUPT. 2019
- Hengtong Optoelectronics Scholarship of NJUPT. 2018
- China National Scholarship for Encouragement. 2018
- Outstanding Youth Volunteer Pioneer of NJUPT. 2018
- China National Scholarship. 2017
- Best Student Model of NJUPT. 2017, 2018, 2019
- First-Class Outstanding Student Scholarship of NJUPT. 2017, 2018, 2019
- Provincial Grand Prize. “Challenge Cup” Curricular Academic Science and Technology Works Competition. 2019
- National First Prize. “3S Cup” College Student IoT Technology and Application Competition. 2018
- Provincial Grand Prize. College Student Computer Design Competition. 2018
- National Second Prize. College Student Service Outsourcing Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition. 2018
- National Third Prize. Next Generation Internet Technology Innovation Competition. 2019
- National Third Prize. “China Software Cup” College Student Software Design Competition. 2019
- Third runner-up. Aliyun Tianchi Qianli Ma Competition. 2018
- CERNET Next Generation Internet Technology Innovation Program, 2018.12~2019.12.
“Smart Library System Based on RFID and IPv6 Network”, Principal Investigator (¥ 100,000).
- NJUPT-YTO Joint Laboratory Innovation Program, 2018.08~2019.08.
“Modern Logistics Management System Based on RFID and NB-IoT”, Principal Investigator (¥ 20,000).
- National College Students Innovation and Entrepreneurship Training Program, 2018.05~2019.05.
“High-Precision Indoor Wireless Localization Based on UHF RFID”, Principal Investigator (¥ 20,000).
- Conference Reviewer: IEEE VIS 2022-2023, EuroVis 2023, PacificVis 2023, ChinaVis 2022-2023, CHI 2024, CSCW 2023, IUI 2023.
- Special Recognitions for Outstanding Reviews: CHI 2024.
- Conference Volunteer: BAAI Conference 2020-2022 (Excellent Editor)